Saturday, November 29, 2014

Porter Poety

Poem
Even though my soul has been torn, here I am laughing.
Even though my very being is in fragments, I have somehow survived.
As long as there is one drop of blood in my body,
Until life’s last instant, I will always foster this love.
When I die I will be thinking of it – my education. 
But now it is just a dream that cannot become reality. 
If I was a flower, I would bloom, but I cannot for all of the thorns. 
If my love was for anything else I could forget it.
I cannot forget my desire to learn, and the road is covered in thorns.
How can I laugh with my heart so filled with a love for learning? 
How can I laugh?
--Santaki B.K. (translation by B. Ayers)

Assets
Today, a Nepali’s morality
Only considers possessions.

Respected porters, brothers –
Today, a Nepali’s identity
Has become selfish.
Respected porters, brothers –
We’re only here as long as our physical health is.
Of course, we will become wealthy and happy.
Respected porters, brothers –
If your soul is content and peaceful
Your creativity can build a Taj Mahal!
Respected porters, brothers –
Make your hardship into a possession.
Soak this earth with your sweat.
Make a storehouse for your sweat.
-- Nanda Raj Rai (translated by B. Ayers

No comments:

Post a Comment